Lunii Hack : Micro-USB to USB-C

The micro-usb port didn’t resist my kids, so they ask me to fix the Lunii (again)

As I had some USB-C port in stock (bought here), it was the perfect occasion to replace the old micro-usb with a brand new USB-C.
Others have done it, so I should be able to 😉

The goal was to be able to charge the Lunii but also to keep the computer connection available, so I had to do some test first.

Original micro-usb

Image 1 of 5

Removing the micro-usb port was not so easy, and I mess a little bit with the tracks, so I found a connection not so far away.

As my proof-of-concept worked well, I cut a small part of the board to glue the USB-C board and connect it.

The last step was to enlarge the hole for the USB-C port. As I glued it too much on the inside, I had to do a very large hole to accept the hole charger cable.

And the data connection is working ! Mission accomplished 😉


Ps: In the repair, I mess with the screen cable.. I have to find a new screen now :-/

Ortho Project : Conclusion

That idea came around December 2019, and I try to implement it from January 2020 to March. COVID situation was a great help, because it gave me time and the possibility to wear my aligners.

I started wearing them on March 12th, and I’m currently wearing my last piece. It’s been 5 months, and I’ve almost reach my goal ! (photos will come soon)

I still want to do another round of aligners : As my teeth moved, my 3D model is not good enough to work on it, and need a more recent one. I also want to correct some small imperfections. I’m on holidays now, far from my 3D printer and tools, so I will resume it in September.

From now, here is what I can conclude on this project :

      • Time : I spend some time on this, probably close to a hundred hours between research and testing. The thermoforming part was clearly the longest, more than 3/4 of my time.
      • Money : It’s was really cheap (Alginate powder, plaster and 60 sheets of dental plastic were bought for less than 30€). I used around 1kg of PLA (15€) and already owned the tools.
      • Efficiency : It’s really efficient ! (wait for photos) Now, I need to find a dentist to put me a small contention metal cable behind my incisors to maintain them durably.
      • Pain : Ok, I had some. First aligner was new, and it was a little painful during the first 24 hours. Then, between each aligners, I sometimes feel a small pain with new ones. Probably because I wanted to move to fast between each aligners.
      • Speech : As expected, I had some difficulties to talk properly the first 3 weeks, but I get used to it.
      • Cleaning process : Each day, I needed to brush my aligners to keep them clean, same for my teeth. Mouthwash was also effective to keep a good hygiene.
      • Attendance : I was really focused during the process. Now with the summer, I’m feeling a bit bored and forget them sometimes.


Stay tuned 🙂

Ortho Project : Cutting and finalisation (step 6)

Cutting was quite easy, with no real difficulties. My Dremel was enough for that, I just had to follow the “tooth lign” to only keep the molding of the teeth.

Cutting following the tooth lign

Image 1 of 3

And to keep them always with me, I 3D printed a nice box !

By the way, I had to remove the last tooth of my upper jaw for two reason: my mold was not good enough on these teeth, and the aligner was too big for my box 🙂